The Lifecycle of an Aurelia Custom Element

I’ve been working with Aurelia pretty well recently, but I came across a problem early on. I had some code within my navigation bar (which is a custom element) and I wanted to manipulate the DOM on startup so that my initial state was correct. So, here was my code: This is pretty simple. My…

Integrating Font Awesome with Less in Web Components

I started to deal with Semantic Web for my header during the last article. Today is going to be all about the sign-in, sign-out and profile buttons. These are very simple buttons and their conversion should pose no challenge. However, there are some interesting things we can talk about with respect to Font Awesome –…

A Polymer Image Carousel

I’m still working on my home page. What I want to do is create a Web Component (in Polymer – my preferred mechanism) to rotate images. I see this a lot on home pages and I think it would look cool. I’ve downloaded 4 fantasy wall papers in HD and resized them to be 1920×600…

Comparing Web Components: Part 3 – Bosonic and X-Tags

Aside from Polymer (which was relatively easy and definitely going in the right direction) there are two other libraries listed on the webcomponents.org website – Bosonic and X-Tags. In this article I will review each one and what it took to get them working. TL;DR – I was disappointed in all the libraries. This may…

Comparing Web Components: Part 2 – Polymer

Since I’ve had a little bit of time with Polymer, I decided to do that library next. However it has had a significant upgrade since my time with it. Version 0.8 has broken just about everything so don’t expect it to just “work”. There is a migration guide, however, and the API does a lot…